What are the Health Benefits of an Adjustable Mattress?
While the National Sleep Foundation recommends people get between seven and nine hours of sleep a night, few people are able to actually do that. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has said that between 50 and 70 million people have problems sleeping in the United States. Nearly 46% of parents do not get enough sleep, making them the largest group to have these problems. If you have issues with your sleep, you may consider getting an adjustable mattress.
The Sleep Benefits of an Adjustable Mattress:
- They are great for acid reflux. Doctors all over the country recommend patients who suffer from acid reflux or other stomach problems recommend they sleep with their head elevated. This keeps the acid in the stomach and prevents it from going all higher. An adjustable mattress lets you get into the best sleep position for this problem and can prevent it from doing damage and getting worse.
- They are great for people with low back pain. Back doctors recommend people with low back injuries sleep on their stomach to improve their sleep quality. These beds allow you to get and stay in the best position for your back. People with adjustable beds report feeling better and get more sleep one they have received it.
- If you have aches and pains, they may be for you. Often when we sleep we lay on certain body parts. This can cause a lot of pain. The adjustable mattress allows you to lay in the right position for your medical condition. These beds allow you to maneuver the bed into a position that will not put undue pressure on your problem points.
- They help people with asthma, snoring and sleep apnea. These are serious conditions that impact people’s ability to get a good night’s sleep. When you sleep in an adjustable mattress, you open your lungs up more and get more oxygen. This makes the sleep quality a lot better. Sleep apnea is when people actually stop breathing during the night impacting the amount of oxygen you get. This can have serious complications and cause serious problems. When you lie on an adjustable mattress, you open your lungs up to get more oxygen in.
- They help people with painful swelling and edema. Anyone who suffers from these conditions can benefit from sleeping on an adjustable mattress. By cradling the body and letting people lift their feet over their heart, they can increase the rate of fluid return to the core of the body. This helps alleviate pain and get people a better night’s sleep.
- They help people with headaches. People who suffer from headaches benefit from the increase in oxygen that accompanies sleeping with your head up and not flat. These people find a real decrease in the pain they experience that keeps them from getting a decent night of sleep.
- They are great for indigestion and other digestive distress. If you have ever gone to bed after eating the wrong thing, you know how painful that can be. Sleeping with your upper body elevated can help assist the digestive process making it more smooth and less painful.
- They help people with restless leg syndrome. People who suffer from this painful disorder report that the medication they are often given by their doctors do not do much to help them with the pain they experience. One thing that has been shown to be of help is sleeping in an adjustable mattress.
There are a great many health benefits to sleeping on an adjustable bed. Not getting enough sleep is a real problem for a lot of people in the United States, this leads to a host of medical and health problems that can be serious. A good, well made mattress should last you about nine or ten years and you will spend about 30,000 hours in your life in bed so getting a good mattress can make a real difference in the quality of your life. If you suffer from any of these medical conditions and they interfere with your sleep, you might want to try out an adjustable bed and see if you cannot start getting the sleep you really need.